Frequently asked questions

Will my course be offered remotely next semester?

Please refer to Programs and Courses or Wattle sites for this information, prior to commencement of the semester.

For information regarding requesting remote adjustments, please see: Requesting remote adjustments 2022


Who can I contact for help? 

Please visit CECS Student Services for information. Services are offered in person and online.


What is an advisor consultation and how can I book one?

Before booking a consultation, please review CECS information pages. If you still require assistance, you can connect with CECS Student Services in person or online.

If you would like to speak with a CECS Student Services advisor for a longer consultation, please book an appointment.

**Please note that these appointments are not usually available during peak times (e.g. O Week, Week 1) due to student induction activities and events.


What are/where can I find, important semester dates?

For key dates, please see the University Calendar.

Census Date (drop courses without academic or financial penalty)

- 31 March (Semester 1)

- 31 August (Semester 2)


How to I check my class times for the semester?

MyTimetable will launch end of June 2022. Check back here for updates

You can also check out information at Timetabling - ANUTimetable Viewer - ANU and Prepare for Classes


How do I get a permission code for a course?

Please see Enrolling in CECS Courses | Permission Codes


Where can I find information about applying for course credit for exemption? 

Please see Applying for course credit and exemption | ANU College of Engineering & Computer Science


I plan on enrolling in a project as part of my degree, what are my options?  Where do I start? What if I can't find a supervisor?

The Student Projects webpage provides a great starting point for students looking for a project and supervisor, as well as information on how to enrol in your course.


How do I apply for an Exchange? Overseas study?

Please go to Global programs - ANU to check out the range of options.

You can also view CECS Exchange informaton at Student exchange | ANU College of Engineering & Computer Science

To apply for Exchange you must first register with ANU Global Programs . Then follow the steps on how to apply at Exchange - ANU


I'd like to complete some courses outside of ANU towards my ANU Degree. Can I apply for Cross-Institutional Study?

Cross Institutional Study is where a student undertakes a course (or courses) at one institute (the host provider) while formally enrolled for an award at another institution as part of a program of that institution (the home provider) with an arrangement for recognition of study by both institutions.


**CECS has very strict criteria that students must address and satisfy before they will be approved to take a course offered by another institution and count it towards their ANU Program. Please read the information on the CECS website about cross-institutional study carefully before submitting your request, as incomplete requests will be automatically rejected. 


When are semester results released?

Results are released via ISIS to students at the end of each semester. Please see the Student calendar - ANU for exact dates.

The visibility of your results may be delayed if you have any outstanding fees and charges (e.g. SAF Fees, library fines, parking fines, etc.). Therefore, ensure these have been paid to receive your results promptly.


When will semester supplementary and deferred exams be held?

Deferred and supplementary exams are scheduled to be held in Week 1 of the following Semester. Students with a result of PX or DA are eligible to sit a supplementary or deferred examination.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you are back on campus by no later than Monday of Week 1 to sit your supplementary exams. Holiday/travel plans are not considered by the university as grounds for a Deferred or Special exam request.

More information: Exams and assessment


Can I arrange to view my exam paper?

You will need to contact your Course Conveners directly for information on their exam paper review schedule. Reviewing your exams paper is an opportunity to check what you got right but also where there is room for improvement. You are not permitted to take notes or photos while viewing the exam paper.

More information: Exams and assessment


How do I appeal a final grade?

You should approach your course convener if you have queries or concerns regarding your result in a course. If you believe there may have been an error in the calculation of your final result or you are requesting a re-mark of your final exam, you will need to submit the request in writing to the Convener (email is sufficient) and clearly outline the grounds for the request. If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome, you may lodge a formal appeal to be considered by the Associate Dean of the College where the course is taught. 

For more information please see: Assessment appeals 


I failed a course this semester, what should I do?

If you have failed a compulsory course you must retake it to meet your degree requirements.

If you have failed an elective course there is no requirement to attempt the same course again, however you will need to select another appropriate level course to make up your course unit requirements. 

More information: I have failed a course


Am I eligible to graduate this semester?

Visit the Graduation Office website for more information: Eligibility to graduate


I need a completion letter. Where can I get one?

If you require proof that you have completed your award prior to graduation, you can request a letter of completion from CECS Student Services. Please note however, that these letters may take up to 5 business days to complete.  Letters will be sent via email.

Please submit this online form Completion Letter

Updated:  10 August 2021/Responsible Officer:  Dean, CECS/Page Contact:  CECS Marketing