Frequently asked questions

Degree plans and enrolment

Will my course be offered remotely next semester?

From Semester 2, 2023, ANU has return to in-person mode of delivery. Therefore, the students are encouraged to be on campus to participate in the in-person classes and other activities. 

I'm not sure what courses to take. Where should I go?

The ANU College of Engineering Computing and Cybernetics (CECC) has multiple resources to help students plan their degrees and determine which courses to take.

In the first instance, we encourage you to refer to Programs and Courses to look at the courses that have been scheduled for a particular year to ensure that the course you’re considering is being offered.

If you’re trying to decide between multiple courses and you’re not sure which to pick, asking your fellow students (either via Social Media or the Student Associations) is an excellent way to get a student-perspective on courses. We also suggest that if you’re torn between courses, to attend the first lecture of each course to better understand the content and structure of the course to help inform your decision.

Before finalising your course selection, you should make sure that it fits into your program requirements by utilising our Degree checker template.

What are important semester dates and where can I find these?

For key dates, please see the University Calendar.

Census Date (drop courses without academic or financial penalty)

  • 31 March (Semester 1)
  • 31 August (Semester 2)

How do I drop or add a course if I can't do it online in ISIS?

If you can’t add a course because a permission code is required, please read and follow the steps for applying for a permission code in our College.

If you can’t add a course because it would result in an overload (i.e. more than 24 units in a study period), please follow the steps for applying for an overload, as per the ANU website.

If you can’t drop a course because you’re an international student and it would result in an underload (i.e. less than 24 units in a study period), please follow the steps for applying for a Reduced study load, as per the ANU website.

If you cannot drop or add a course online in ISIS for any other reason that’s not captured above, please fill out an Enrolment variation form  and send this, along with a screenshot of the error you are encountering on ISIS, to CECC Student Services at

I need permission to take a course. How do I get permission?

Some courses have restrictions to ensure that students meet specific requirements and have appropriate background knowledge and skills to be successful in the course before enrolling. These requirements are listed under the 'Requisite and Incompatibility' section of the course page on Program and Courses.

Students who do not meet the listed requisites typically will not be permitted to enrol into a later course; however, we encourage you to carefully read the full eligibility criteria for CECC permission codes and - if applicable - apply for a permission code by completing the CECC permission code request form.  

How do I make sure that I am doing the right courses to graduate?

To make sure you are completing the correct courses for your program, please refer to your program rules for the year you commenced your program, as listed on Programs and Courses. You can also use the CECC degree checker template for your program to ensure you’re on-track with your studies and to help identify the courses you have remaining for your program.

If you need further assistance, CECC Student Services can confirm which courses you have left to complete in your program. You will need to email your completed degree checker template, as well as any specific questions about your remaining program requirements to CECC Student Services –

How do I add majors or minors under my program?

To add a major or minor to your degree, please follow the instructions on the ANU Changing majors, minors & specialisations website. You may add a major or minor to your degree on ISIS (Main Menu (compass button) > Navigator > ISIS > Degree Management > Major, Minor & Specialisations).

Please note the deadlines carefully, as you will not be able to process this change after the census date of each semester.

How do I transfer to a different degree?

Degree transfer applications are submitted via eForm through ISIS. To navigate to the degree transfer application on ISIS select: Main Menu (compass button) > Navigator > ISIS > Degree Management > Apply for Degree Transfer.

If you are transferring to a CECC degree and wish to receive credit from your previous ANU studies, you will need to request credit transfer by completing our online application process. Please read the information carefully and ensure that you provide all relevant information with your application so your request can be assessed and finalised as quickly as possible.

For more information regarding degree transfers and the relevant deadlines, see the ANU transferring between degrees webpage.

I need to take more than four courses this semester, how do I do that?

To take more than four courses in one semester, you will need to apply to overload your enrolment. You may apply using the ‘Manage my Degree’ eForm via ISIS (Main Menu (compass button) > Navigator > ISIS > Degree Management > Manage my Degree).

Please make sure that you meet the eligibility requirements for your specific scenario by visiting the Overload your enrolment webpage.

I need to take less than four courses this semester, how do I do that?

If you are an international student, you must apply to reduce your study load by following the instructions on the Reducing your study load webpage.

If you are a domestic student, you may simply enrol in as many courses as you require on ISIS.

Please note that reducing your study load may extend the duration of your degree.

How do I study at a different institution or go on exchange next semester?

There is a wide range of programs that students can take to study elsewhere during their degree.

If you wish to study at a different institution for a full semester, going on exchange would be the best option for you. If you are in your first year, please see the ANU PRIMO website for more information. Otherwise, please visit the CECC student exchange website for instructions on how to find a suitable exchange program and how to have equivalent courses approved for credit into your ANU program.

Studying at another Australian university and counting the results towards your ANU program is known as cross-institutional study. Students are not normally enrolled at ANU when studying cross-institutionally, however it is possible (under limited circumstances) to study at another university concurrently with your ANU studies. This is most commonly achieved by combining ANU studies with online courses from another university, or with courses from another Canberra institution. For more information about Cross-institutional study eligibility and restrictions, please refer to the CECC website.

How do I apply for leave from my studies?

If you are an international student, you must apply for program leave. You may apply through ISIS by using the ‘Manage my Degree’ eForm via ISIS (Main Menu (compass button) > Navigator > ISIS > Degree Management > Manage my Degree). For more information regarding program leave for international students, please visit the Program leave webpage.

Domestic students who have had effective enrolments in at least one course in their current program need not apply for program leave. They will automatically be placed on program leave if they do not enrol in any courses before the semester’s census date. For more information on program leave for domestic students, please visit the ANU program leave webpage.

How can I apply to waive the prerequisite of a course?

If you believe that you have met the prerequisites of a course in your program from previous studies outside of ANU, please apply for an exemption through CECC credit/exemption procedure.

If you have been previously awarded an exemption for the prerequisite of a course but cannot enrol in that course in ISIS, please take a screen shot of the error on ISIS and email for assistance.

In other cases, you will need to apply for a permission code to enrol into a CECC course where a prerequisite has not been satisfied; however, please note that students who do not meet the listed requisites typically will not be permitted to enrol into a later course. Please read the information about requesting a permission code for a CECC course carefully.

What will happen if I have failed a course?

The ANU College of Engineering Computing and Cybernetics and The Australian National University have multiple resources to support students mentally and academically throughout their program.

To find information on what to do if you find yourself failing a course, please visit the CECC failed courses webpage.

I’ve failed a course two times, how do I get permission to take it again?

To seek permission to retake a course for the third time after two failed attempts, please see the ANU repeating a failed course website. As stated on the website, you must seek permission via the ‘Manage my Degree’ eForm on ISIS (Main Menu (compass button) > Navigator > ISIS > Degree Management > Manage my Degree).

How may I be awarded credits or exemptions for past studies?

If you have relevant previous studies at an institution outside of ANU, you may be eligible for course credit or exemption.

To apply for credit or an exemption, visit the CECC credit/exemption procedure website. Please read the instructions carefully as missing information may cause delays in processing your request.

Are there any internships I may do in my program?

The ANU College of Engineering Computing and Cybernetics facilitates many initiatives designed to increase the employability of its students. Among these are the Engineering and Computing Internship programs.

The ANU also holds the Australian National Internship Program (ANIP). All of these opportunities may be completed for course credit within your program.

How many 1000-level courses may I take in my program?

If you are in a single CECC degree, the limit of 1000-level courses you may take is 10 (60 units), though you aren’t required to complete 10 1))-level courses if you don’t want to. Please note that ANU-wide elective courses count towards this limit.

If you are enrolled in a Flexible Double Degree program the limit of 1000-level courses for the CECC Honours component of your FDD is typically 8 (48 units).

You are strongly encouraged to refer to your specific FDD program rules on Programs and Courses to ensure that you don’t inadvertently complete too many 1000-Level courses.

I plan on enrolling in a project as part of my degree, what are my options?  Where do I start? What if I can't find a supervisor?

The CECC enrolling in student projects webpage provides a great starting point for students looking for a project and supervisor, as well as information on how to enrol in your course.



How do I get my timetable?

MyTimetable is the ANU official timetabling system, through this system you will be able to view the timetable for your enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so you can better plan your time.

You will be able to find some helpful tips to get you started here; 

Getting Started 

Creating a Timetable Plan

More information: ANU timetabling

What room is my lecture or tutorial in?

Once you select your courses in the MyTimetable, you will be able to see which venue each class is held in. Please visit the ANU Map if you need directions.

Please note that your class venue may be subject to change.

For further information regarding timetabling, please visit the ANU Timetabling webpage.

I have a timetable clash between lectures, what can I do?

Should you have a timetable clash between lectures, you may either watch the lectures of one course online or (if appropriate) enrol in another course in your program.

If you need assistance choosing another suitable course, please view the course requirements for your program through the Programs & Courses website and the check the offering of a specific course in the “class” tab for the course on the Programs and Courses site.

We also recommend that you map your potential course selections through your CECC degree checker template, to ensure the course you’re considering can fit within your degree requirements.

I have a timetable clash between tutorials, what can I do?

If you have a clash between tutorial times and you are unable to attend a different tutorial timeslot, please contact the lecturer or convener of your course to discuss alternative arrangements.

Your lecturer's contact details may be found on the sidebar of each course's Wattle page.


Assessments and exams

Should I apply for a deferred examination or special consideration?

If you have missed an examination due to extenuating circumstances, you will need to apply for a deferred examination. If you have attempted an examination or assessment but believe that your performance was influenced by extenuating circumstances, you may wish to apply for special assessment consideration.

Please note that you will require supporting documentation in both cases and all applications must be made within three days of the due date of the assessment task.

How do I get a supplementary examination for my course?

Students will only be offered supplementary assessments if they meet certain eligibility criteria listed on the ANU supplementary assessment website. If you are offered a supplementary assessment, the University will contact you with further details.

If you cannot attend your examination due to extenuating circumstances, please refer to information on applying for a deferred examination.

When will my supplementary or deferred examination be?

If you have been approved for a deferred examination or supplementary examination, you will be contacted by the ANU Examinations Office further details but your exam will typically be held in the first week of the following semester.

I have an examination scheduling clash, what should I do?

Any enquiries regarding exam scheduling clashes should be sent to the Examinations Office at

How do I calculate my Grade Point Average (GPA)?

Each course grade you receive at ANU has a Grade Point Value. Your Grade Point Average (GPA) is the average of all these values, weighted by the amount of units each course takes in your program.

To find the Grade Point Values for your course grades and view an example of the calculation methodology, please visit the ANU Grade Point Average website.

Please note that Fail grades will count towards the calculation of your GPA with a Grade Point Value of 0.

When are semester results released?

Results are released via ISIS to students at the end of each semester. Please see the ANU student calendar for exact dates.

The visibility of your results may be delayed if you have any outstanding fees and charges (e.g. SAF Fees, library fines, parking fines, etc.). Therefore, ensure these have been paid to receive your results promptly.

Can I arrange to view my exam paper?

You will need to contact your Course Conveners directly for information on their exam paper review schedule. Reviewing your exams paper is an opportunity to check what you got right but also where there is room for improvement. You are not permitted to take notes or photos while viewing the exam paper.

More information: Exams and assessment

How do I appeal a final grade?

You should approach your course convener if you have queries or concerns regarding your result in a course. If you believe there may have been an error in the calculation of your final result or you are requesting a re-mark of your final exam, you will need to submit the request in writing to the Convener (email is sufficient) and clearly outline the grounds for the request. If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome, you may lodge a formal appeal to be considered by the Associate Dean of the College where the course is taught.

More information: Assessment appeals


Fees and scholarships

How much does this course cost?

To check fees for a course, please see the Programs & Courses webpage for the course and navigate to the ‘Fees’ tab.

Fees for domestic and international students will be displayed in the ‘Course fees’ table.

I want to apply for a scholarship, but I'm not sure which one to apply to?

To find CECC-specific scholarships that may apply to you, please visit the CECC scholarships page. You can also check out the ANU scholarships page and filter your search to reflect your circumstances and eligibility criteria.

When will my scholarship be paid?

If you are a tuition fee waiver student (i.e. you receive a percentage discount for your student fees), or a pre-census stipend student, this is applied at the beginning of semester before the due date for student fee contribution.

If you are a post-census stipend student, this will be applied after the census date of each semester.

If you’re not sure what kind of benefit your scholarship provides, please check your offer letter and Conditions of Award.

If I transfer my degree, can I keep my scholarship?

It’s best to check with the contact officer listed within your scholarship conditions of award before you transfer your degree to confirm your eligibility to retain your scholarship, as CECC-specific scholarships are sometimes tied to particular disciplines.

With centrally- administered scholarships (e.g. access and equity scholarships, etc.) transferring your degree will typically not impact on your eligibility; however, we always recommend that you confirm this with the contact officer, just to be sure.

If you do not advise us of changes to your program, your scholarship may not be transferrable or if you’ve been paid in error, you may be required to pay back the funds distributed to you.

How does CECC determine if I can keep my scholarship?

At the conclusion of a semester, the CECC Student Services team will compare your results to the progression criteria in your scholarships Conditions of Award. This is listed as a percentage average, or a GPA.

If you do not meet progression requirements for the first time, you will be sent a probation letter.

If you do not meet progression requirements for the second time (this does not have to be consecutive), your details will be considered by a CECC Committee. You will be invited to explain your circumstances and provide supporting documentation to determine the status of your scholarship.


Official documents

How do I extend my student visa?

If you need to extend your student visa, you will have to fill out an Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) form and email it to CECC Student Services with a copy of your proposed study plan for the remainder of your program.

For details on further steps in this process, please visit the ANU eCoE Extension website.

How do I get a transcript?

You may purchase a physical or electronic official transcript by following the instructions on the ANU purchase an academic transcript website.

You may also generate a free, unofficial statement of results from ISIS (Main Menu (compass button) > Navigator > ISIS > Academic Records > Statement of Results).

Where can I get a letter of completion?

Completion Letters are typically only necessary if they are required by an external organisation for reasons such as:

  • Evidence of completed qualification to prospective employers.
  • To meet admission requirements for another program (e.g. for further studies at another university).
  • To meet immigration requirements.

The College of Engineering Computing and Cybernetics (CECC) will automatically generate a completion letter for all students who are approved to graduate from a CECC program (following the release of results each semester) and will email this letter to your ANU student email account prior to the scheduled graduation ceremony. You do not need to request this document, as it will be sent to you directly. 

If you are not in a CECC program but you believe you need a Completion Letter, please contact your home College directly for further advice.



How do I calculate my Grade Point Average (GPA)?

Each course grade you receive at ANU has a Grade Point Value. Your Grade Point Average is the average of all these values, weighted by the amount of units each course takes in your program.

To find the Grade Point Values for your course grades and view an example of the calculation methodology, please visit the ANU Grade Point Average website.

Please note that Fail grades will count towards the calculation of your GPA with a Grade Point Value of 0.

Do majors, minors, or specialisations appear on my transcript and degree certificate?

The majors, minors, and specialisations you are awarded upon completion of your degree will not be shown on your degree certificate/testamur. However, they will be displayed on your official academic transcript.

If I’ve completed the requirement for one of my degrees (in an FDD), can I graduate from just that one?

If you wish to graduate from just one of your degrees while completing a flexible double degree, you will be required to apply to graduate in advance.

Students can apply by filling out the form found on the ANU application to graduate website, where you may also find more information about this process.

When will I receive my graduation invitation?

You can expect to receive your invitation via email to your ANU student email account by the end of May (for July ceremonies) or October (for December ceremonies). If you do not receive your graduation invitation in this time, please contact CECC Student Service (

When will the graduation ceremony be?

Please see the ANU graduation day website for further details.

I can’t attend my graduation ceremony, what should I do?

If you are unable to attend your graduation ceremony, you have multiple other options. You can either graduate in absentia (graduate but not attend the ceremony), or defer your graduation. You can apply for these options by responding to your invitation to graduate on ISIS.

For more information on both options including how to apply for them, please visit the ANU graduation website.

Will deferring my graduation change my testamur dates?

Your testamur and academic transcript will display the date that you graduated from your degree, not the date of your ceremony. The University is unable to change this date.

How many guest invitations will I receive for the graduation ceremony, and what if I need more?

Students are guaranteed up to two guest invitations upon indicating that they are attending the ceremony. You will be required to choose whether you plan on having 0, 1, or 2 guests attend.

Students may also apply for up to three additional guest invitations by entering a ballot.

For more information on both of these subjects, please visit the ANU guest invitations for graduation website.

What should I do to prepare for my graduation?

The ANU provides a checklist for students to ensure they are prepared for their graduation day. Topics to keep in mind are checking that your personal details on ISIS are correct and hiring your graduation regalia.

For the full checklist, please visit the ANU Graduation preparation website.


Support and advice

Who can I contact for help?

CECC Student Services are here to provide support, advice and referral to relevant services for students throughout the life of their degree. This includes helping students to:

  • Understand their program requirements (including academic progression and graduation checks).
  • Access co-curricular and extra-curricular opportunities, including exchange and study abroad and Work Integrated Learning (e.g. Internships and Work Experience).
  • Seek course enrolment support (including adding and withdrawing from courses, applying for credit and permission codes, third time enrolments, reduced study load, program transfers, etc.) and general academic advice.
  • Understand course and program administrative options when things haven’t gone to plan or you need some extra assistance (including Late Withdrawals, Program Leave, Deferred and Special Exams, Educational Access Plans, etc.)
  • Recognise and adhere to university rules, policies and procedures.
  • Provide feedback or lodge complaints and concerns to CECC leadership.

If you have any questions or concerns, please come and see the friendly staff in CECC Student Services – either in person on Level 2 of the CSIT Building (#108) or send us an email at

I’d like some course/program advice. Can I book a time to meet with an adviser one-on-one?

Please book the appointment with us via Career Hub. (Choose ‘CECC Student Appointments’ tab).
Note: if this is the first time you are using Career Hub, please register an account using your ANU student email.

Before requesting a consultation, you are expected to do your own research and look for the answers (most of which we have taken the time to provide clear answers for on the CECC website!). This helps you to define and clarify what you need to ask us to ensure you get a response or outcome that aligns with your individual circumstances.

While we can answer quick, general questions if you drop into our front counter on Level 2 of the CSIT Building (#108), we’re unable to provide detailed course and program advice on-the-spot, as we need time to review your academic record and to understand the background of your enquiry.

If your query is very specific and you don’t think the answers on our website apply to you because of this, you can connect with CECC Student Services via email – – and we can provide you with specific advice either via reply email, or we can book a consultation with you. As part of your request for a consultation, you will be required to provide:

  • Your full name and ANU Student ID details
  • An up-to-date study plan that details your current and proposed course selections and also provides information on your chosen Major/Minor/Specialisation
  • A clear summary of the questions you would like answered, including the background context for your questions.

For example:

  • No: “Can you confirm which courses I should take in Semester 1?”
    This does not provide us with necessary background information or context, nor does this request details specific courses the student is considering. We would not be able to provide an accurate response to a questions like this.
  • Yes: “I am considering a transfer to the Bachelor of Computing from the Bachelor of Advanced Computing (Honours) degree in Semester 2, 2023. Can you please confirm that the courses in my attached study plan for Semester 1 will count towards the BComp program when the transfer is actioned?”
    This example provides us with clear background information of the student’s intentions which will have a direct bearing on the advice we’re able to provide.

Updated:  10 August 2021/Responsible Officer:  Dean, CECS/Page Contact:  CECS Marketing