Instaclustr is one of Australia's growing open source as-a-service companies, delivering reliability at scale. We manage cutting edge open source technologies (Cassandra, Kafka, Spark, Elasticsearch, Redis and PostgreSQL) for our customers around the world. Recently, Instaclustr was named in Deloitte’s 2020 fast 500 companies of North America after another monumental growth year,
Since its foundation in 2013, Instaclustr has seen significant growth, with over 200 large scale, exciting customers across the globe. We have over 6000 servers under our management. Our 250 people are located remotely and in offices in Australia, the USA, and Europe.
Instaclustr makes it easy for our customers to run powerful open source applications at the highest levels of scale. We have developed a platform that takes care of the whole lifecycle: provisioning infrastructure, installing applications and keeping them running reliably in mission critical situations. Our customers operate 24 x7 and our business does too - our operations team is spread across the globe to provide fast, expert support and operational responses.
We’re looking for recent graduates to join our 2022 Graduate intake. You'll be working with new technologies in a development team with great development infrastructure and a track record of getting big things done quickly and done right. We believe fresh and innovative thinking is vital to our future success.
Applications close - Midnight Sunday, 25th September, 2021!
Start Date: January/February 2022
- To be considered, you need to have completed an undergraduate degree or postgraduate studies prior to February 2022 and completed studies no earlier than Nov 2019.
- The application should include an academic transcript. Applications without transcripts will not be considered.
As a Graduate Software Engineer you’ll be working as a member of one or more of our Development teams that build and operate the systems that underpin our managed service.
This is a high trust position and as such background checks are required for this role.
Duties and activities
- Working as a member of an agile team following the Scrum methodology developing a new product in a rapidly developing market.
- Undertaking design, coding, unit testing, debugging and troubleshooting in Java, Python, AngularJS, PostgreSQL and other tools
- Following, and helping drive improvement in, standard QA and other development processes.
- Meeting standard team member performance expectations (see below).
- Experience in a language like Java, C#, C++, or Python (we do most of our development in Java)
- Working knowledge of SQL
- Tertiary qualifications in software engineering (or related discipline).
- An ability to work in a team environment.
Team Member Performance Expectations - Graduate Software Engineer
These are the current expectations. Expectations are maintained and agreed by the team on an ongoing basis.
- Business Value Focus: Be aware of the business objective and value of your work. Make decisions to maximise business value. Appropriately question work and decisions that appear to be of low business value. Be aware of the broad context of your work.
Following processes, understanding local implications of changes. Demonstrate a clear understanding of Instaclustr development processes. Understand requirements, ask clarifying questions about business value.
- Dependability & Commitment: Demonstrate a consistent, strong commitment to the achievement of Instaclustr’s goals. Be dependable in meeting agreed deadlines and deliverables or communication appropriately when unforeseen issues arise. Plan and manage your own time and tasks. Demonstrate high levels of individual productivity.
Effectively plans and uses own time. Working in a sustained and focused way to meet commitments. Provide reliable, regular, complete updates on progress and unforeseen issues.
- Team Work: Take a “shared goals” mentality and contribute to the overall success of the team. Acknowledge the contributions and expertise of others, share your knowledge and experience to help others to be productive. Propose, design and champion methods to improve team productivity.
Get help when required. Help new people and people in other teams. Volunteer expertise. Volunteer to take on new challenges & responsibilities.
- Technical & Problem Solving Skill: Apply strong basic technical skills in the core technologies we use. Approach problems in a structured manner with perseverance and a positive attitude. Seek out, filter and apply new sources of information as part of an open approach to finding the best solution. Be brave in tackling new and complex areas.
Build your own skills. Write design documents. Participate in the design process (drive own designs through review). Get help when needed, use others' time effectively.
- Quality: Follow agreed team process. Consider the broad implications of your work and ensure appropriate QA steps are undertaken to manage risks. Value maintainability of code by aiming for simple solutions, following codec conventions and creating appropriate documentation. Break down large tasks into smaller pieces of work to facilitate review and testing and manage risk.
Follow the process. Attention to detail. Identify local risks effectively. Develop effective tests
- Communication: Be proactive and informative in communicating impacts and benefits of your work to support, sales, marketing and others at Instaclustr. Represent Instaclustr in the wider community through meet-up participation, online forums, blog-posts, open source contributions, etc.
Communicate issues/problems clearly. Communicate effectively with the manager about availability/hours. Provides necessary background and context appropriate to audience
Actively listen and participate in discussions when invited. Ask clarifying questions. Use others' time effectively
What we offer
- A well defined career model and opportunities for progression
- A family first environment
- Competitive rewards
- Awesome social activities – New starter BBQs, cook offs, games nights, bowling, Badminton etc
- Workplace flexibility and great work-life balance
- Growing Global company
- An onboarding program to help bring you up to speed and to get you moving quickly
- Learning from incredibly talented people
- Exciting and fast-growing industry
- Company SWAG – Hoodies, t-shirt, thongs etc
- New Laptop
- A personal development week every year to undertake your own project
- A rotation program for broadening your skills and experience working with different people, teams, and technologies
- Phone bill allowance
- Free fitness training sessions 3 times per week
- Access to online books
- Wellbeing programs
Instaclustr is an equal opportunity employer. By joining us, you'll be part of an organization that fosters diversity. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply.
How to Apply