Professor Elanor Huntington
Professor Elanor Huntington is currently a Visiting Professor with the College of Engineering and Computer Science (CECS) and the Executive Director - Digital, National Facilities & Collections at CSIRO. Prior to that, she was the Dean of the CECS at the Australian National University (ANU) from 2014 up until 2021. Elanor has held Board appointments to Innovation Science Australia, Significant Ventures, Questacon and other government scientific advisory roles. She was elected a Fellow of the Academy of Technology and Engineering in 2020 and was named an honorary Fellow of Engineers Australia in 2017. Elanor led the extended Group of Eight (Go8+) Engineering Deans as first female Chair from 2017-2019.
In 2000, Elanor completed my PhD in experimental Quantum Optics. Her current research includes the control of quantum systems, more specifically; the interface between theory and applications. She was a Program Manager in the ARC Centre of Excellence for Quantum Computation and Communication Technologies for nearly 2 decades.
Elanor has given a talk at the World Economic Forum and delivered a TEDxSydney Talk on ‘Why we need Engineers now more than ever’.
Elanor is committed to growing the profile of Engineering in the community and is passionate about attracting a more diverse cohort of people to take up careers that draw on STEM skills. In 2019, she co-founded the Engineering for Australia Taskforce to provide expert advice on addressing barriers to women’s participation in university engineering programs.
Connect with Professor Huntington:
@Elanor-Huntington on LinkedIn
Honours and awards:
- Honorary Fellow of Engineers Australia (HonFIEAust) 2017
- Finalist Telstra Business Women of the Year, Academia 2019
- Finalist CSIRO Eureka Prize, Leadership in Innovation and Science 2019
- Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (MIEEE)
- Member of the Institution of Engineers Australia (MIEAust)
- Laser safety
- 23 Jan 2019: The Australian: Engineering needs humanities touch
- 23 Jan 2019: Ockham's Razor - Program podcast: Problem finders' for the wicked challenges ahead
- 23 May 2018: Sydney Writers Festival: Women In Tech: Okay Ladies, Now Let's Get Information (Track 4)
- 9 May 2018: Australian Cyber Security Magazine: Women in Cyber Panel, Australian Cyber Security Centre Conference
- 3 May 2018: Create Digital: Trust in engineering is more important than ever -here's why
- 22 February 2018: ANU Reporter: Making our high-tech future
- 3 November 2017: Create Digital: Do engineering programs need to be overhauled?
- 31 October 2017: Australian Financial Review: The charge of the Australian cyber Light Horse
- 4 September 2017: Engineers Australia: Integrating technology and society – the new wave of engineering
- 10 July 2017: Radio New Zealand: Encouraging young women to choose maths and science
- 16 June 2017: TEDx Sydney talk: Why we need engineers now more than ever
- 19 April 2017: ANU National Security College: Women, STEM and security
- 8 March 2017: Broad Agenda: For young girls STEM equality starts at home
- 4 August 2016: The Australian Rewire Special Report: Problem solvers