-[2009-2013] Doctor of Philosophy, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia. Thesis: On the automatic closed-loop administration of medicinal drugs.
- Master of Biomedical Engineering at Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy (awarded cum laude). Thesis title: A computational model of cardiac torsion.
- Bachelor of Biomedical Engineering at Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy (awarded cum laude).
- [2019 - current] Lecturer - The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia.
- [2017 - current] Chief Technology Officer - Automedicus Corporation, Wilmington DE, USA.
- [2013-2019] Adjunct Lecturer - The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia.
- [2014-2019] Biomedical Engineer - Canberra Sleep Clinic Area of work: technical asset management and research coordination. Diagnostics and treatment of sleep disorders.
- [2008-2009] R&D Engineer - Tre Esse Progettazione Biomedica, Bologna, Italy. Area of work: a robotic device for assisted heart surgery.
- [2005-2006] Adjunct graduate researcher (practicum role) at Ventracor Ltd., Chatswood, Australia and The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia. Area of work: control of implantable ventricular assist devices.
-  Clinical Engineering (internship role) at Ospedale San Raffaele, Milan, Italy. Area of work: management of high-technology medical equipment.
Modelling and simulation of human physiology. Technology-assisted delivery of medicines. Biomechanics and biomaterials. Sleep science. Medical applications of engineering. Medical devices.
N Malagutti, DM Karantonis, NH Lovell, et al.; "Noninvasive Average Flow Estimation for an Implantable Rotary Blood Pump: A New Algorithm Incorporating the Role of Blood Viscosity"; Artificial Organs 31 (1), 45-52 (2007).
E Marcelli, S Spolzino, L Cercenelli, A Cappello, P Bagnoli, M L Costantino, N Malagutti, R Fumero, G Plicchi; "Assessment of cardiac apex kinematics using a real-time 3D magnetic tracking system"; Computers in Cardiology, 2008, pp.397-400, 14-17 Sept. 2008
Bagnoli P, Malagutti N, Gastaldi D, Marcelli E, Lui E, Cercenelli L, Costantino ML, Plicchi G, Fumero R. "Computational finite-element model of cardiac torsion"; Int J Artif Organs. 2011 Jan;34(1):44-53.
Malagutti N, Dehghani A, Kennedy RA; "Safety issues in adaptive control systems for automatic administration of vasoactive drugs"; Proceedings of 18th IFAC World Congress, Milan, Italy, August 2011
Malagutti N, Dehghani A, Kennedy RA; "Improved Robust Performance in a System for Automatic Administration of a Vasoactive Drug"; Proceedings of International Conference on Bio-inspired Systems and Signal Processing (BIOSTEC BIOSIGNALS) 2012, Vilamoura, Portugal, February 2012
Malagutti N, Dehghani A, Kennedy RA; "A Robust Multiple-Model Adaptive Control System for Automatic Delivery of a Vasoactive Drug"; Proceedings of the 9th IASTED International Conference on Biomedical Engineering (BioMed), Innsbruck, Austria, February 2012
Malagutti N, Dehghani A, Kennedy RA; "An approach to controlled drug infusion via tracking of the time-varying dose-response"; Proceedings of the 34th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (IEEE EMBS), San Diego, CA, USA, September 2012
Malagutti N, Hassani V, Dehghani A; "An adaptive multi-controller architecture using particle filtering"; Proceedings of the 4th Australian Control Conference (AuCC), Sydney, Australia, November 2012
Malagutti N, Dehghani A, Kennedy RA; "Robust Control Design for Automatic Regulation of Blood Pressure"; IET Control Theory and Applications, 2013 (vol.7(6), pp.387-396),
Malagutti N; "Particle filter-based robust adaptive control for closed-loop administration of sodium nitroprusside"; Journal of Computational Surgery